Sunday 31 January 2010

Fat Jack first of 2010!


It has either been the weather or I've had other calls on my time recently and yesterday was the first real occasion I could get out fishing.

Up at 0630 and to the lake for 0730... clear and frosty morning with a stiffening breeze... I was glad I put on the extra woolly pully

I set up two rods - the Harrison has the Cortland 333 Pike Pro WF10F and the Loomis a Rio Striped Bass WF9I.

Mark 1 is a difficult cast an easy to get hung up on the trees and with the wind blowing into the trees running parallel to my cast I had to aim out into the lake for the fly to be taken to its intended landing spot. My favourite pattern on board... orange & yellow bucktail mix on the Rio Inter I cast dangerously close to the reeds and overhanging trees already cluttered with waggler floats! The wind albeit difficult aided getting my fly to a part of the water that I usually have difficulty getting to... the potential for hanging the fly on vegetation is high!

I decided with the wind strengthening to cast a little further up wind and allow the fly to drift into position whilst it dropped in the water column... short pulls and pauses following by long pull a 6 count a long pull and a 6 count and SNAG. Strip - Strike and I'm in!

In all honesty it was so lethargic it was like pulling in a plastic bag... it only started to go berserk in the net! It was a cold day and he was more than happy to flash back into the depths...

2010's account has been opened!

No comments: