Friday 30 April 2010

Loss of a big girl....


What an interesting day... up very early... almost the time before I went to bed! Half a tank of petrol later I was at a new water... rarely fished for the crocs and I'd been told that it would have to be a "dawn raid" so as not to excite the silver fishermen too much. Tales of a monster lurking beneath the depths are legend...
I decided to set the same team up as last Friday and explore the margins with the orange baitfish and then the depths with the bucktail Hollow Fleye. Initially I was going un-rewarded even though I could see swirls and bait fish jumping. I decided that a particularly weedy area might hold and gave it a go... I searched this mark for a good 15 minutes... she had to be here then my line locked up and pulled... and then the water boiled like a witches cauldron... in the midst of this the murky water fell away as a head the size of a shovel appeared. I damn near choked... this was going to be it.
With one shake of her head she left my fly intact and went for the depths... some suitable cussing occurred as I flailed the water attempting to tempt her back. In the words of the erudite Mr Homer Simpson... "Doh!"
I skirted the lake with the feeling of elation I'd found a pike... deflated that I'd touched lucky and lost the biggie! Ah well there's always next time. I had a play in a couple of other marks and satisfied myself with a couple of jacks... better than blanking!

3 comments:

Pat Cohen said...

very nice fish....

David Edwards said...

Pat, Cheers for that those are the two jacks the one in the water was unhooked there such was my misery at losing the biggie :D
David

Tuffty said...

At least you still have pike to fish for Dave, the Polish immigrants down here have decimated my usual haunts!
Keep in touch.